Skip to main content

Full text of "Bob Buente South Park BID Emails through 10/2018"

See other formats

Re: SPBID

Subject: Re: SPBID

From: Ellen Riotto <ellen@southpark.la>

Date: 09/06/2018 04:38 PM

To: Sean Leonard <sll@slleonard.com>

CC: "bbuente@1010dev.org" <bbuente@1010dev.org>, Christie Rice
<crice@slleonard.com>, Robin Bieker <robin@biekerco.com>

This is so helpful, Sean, thank you!

See below for my comments. Let me know when you have a cost estimate for me...I would love
your help with this project!

From: Sean Leonard <sll@slleonard.com>

Date: Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 3:18 PM
To: Ellen Riotto <ellen@southpark.la>

Cc: "bbuente@101Qdev.org" <bbuente@101Qdev.orq> , Christie Rice <crice@slleonard.com>
Subject: SPBID

Hi Ellen,

A few issues to consider:

1. The contract form I suggested on the phone was the AIA A105 2017 Owner Contractor
agreement. Please check if your counsel is OK with it or if they have a form agreement to
use. I recommend getting it to the bidders to provide comment along with their bids. OK,
checking in with counsel on this.

2. I don't think you will get responsive bids unless you address the MEP issues. Do
you have any as builts or other information on existing HVAC, electrical and plumbing?

We don't have as-builts but the broker told us that the owner "already has an electrician
working diligently at the entire property. We can put you in touch with him, but I am
sure he will not have a schematic drawn of the building Each space is separately metered.
Same goes for the HVAC contractor who is already busy at work at the site for the whole
property. No schematic, but you can speak with him to discuss." I have not asked for
intros to either of them as of yet.

a. We could have the GCs bid the MEPs on a design/build basis, but they will ask for
as builts and site tours. Have any GCs toured the site? Yes, all GCs have toured the site

b. Design / build is cost efficient, but you may end up comparing apples with
oranges, and it's pretty esoteric. There is an MEP engineer that we work with a lot that
can provide a design criteria and review submittals and installations. This would be less

1 of 2

10/19/2018 08:34 AM

Re: SPBID

expensive than a fully engineered system, and much faster.

c. With the exposed ceilings, I assume you will want the low voltage wiring in

conduits; just a note on the plans directing them to your server presumably in the
electrical room.

3. You should use an IT vendor / contractor to pull cable rather than the
electrician.

4. Any Audio Video needs in the open area? No, we have stand alone projectors and
screens.

5. It appears the street elevation is lower than the floor. Does the GC need to
lower the floor where the steps and ramp are shown? This is proving to be a pain point.
Owner agreed to install a ramp, but only in the rear. According to the architect, Buidling
+ Safety won't approve a rear-only ramp, but the owner isn't willing to pay for
installation in the front. I got him to commit to a $3,000 contribution to a front ramp
(he came up with that number, not me), but I don't know if that will cover the entire cost
be I don't yet have a GC

6. Is the GC doing any work on the storefront? We'll want to install some signage
but I haven't figured that portion out yet.

Just a few preliminary thoughts.

Sean

Sean L. Leonard | S.L. Leonard & Associates, Inc. | 2390C Las Posas Road #453, Camarillo,
CA 93010-3496

T: 805/445-4668 ext 100 F: 805/445-8004 E: sllgslleonard.com <mailto:sll@slleonard.com>
W: www.slleonard.com <http://www.slleonard.com/>

The Excitement is Building!